Grade 10 Parent Information Session Introducing the IB Diploma
On Wednesday 27 October the first parent information session introducing the IB Diploma was held. Parents were told about the various aspects and requirements of the IB Diploma so they can help prepare their daughter for subject selection that will take place in semester 2. Some key information is outlined below:
- To undertake the full IB Diploma, students must take six subjects, plus Theory of Knowledge. They also must complete an Extended Essay and fulfill the CAS (Creativity, Activity and Service) requirements.
- Subjects are chosen from the following subject groups:
Group 1 – Language and Literature (English, Korean); Literature (Chinese)
Group 2 – Language Acquisition (English B (HL only)); Ab initio languages (SL only)
Group 3 – Individuals and Societies (Business Management, Economics, Geography, History)
Group 4 – Experimental Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics); Design Sciences (Computer Science, Design Technology)
Group 5 – Mathematics (Analysis and Approaches or Applications and Interpretation (SL only))
Group 6 – The Arts (Music, Visual Art, Theater)
Group 3 and 4 – Environmental Systems and Societies (SL only)
- There is some flexibility with Group 3, 4 and 6 subjects, which allows students to take more languages, or more humanities, more sciences or more arts subjects. In order to do this, a student must take ESS so that both group 3 and 4 subjects are covered.
- Students must take three subjects at Higher Level (HL) and the other three will be at Standard Level (SL).
- Students who take two Language A subjects will be eligible for the Bilingual Diploma. For the past two years 100% of our IB diploma students achieved a bilingual diploma.
- In order to take a course at Higher Level, students must have achieved a 5 or more in MYP in that, or a similar, subject.
- In order to take a mathematics course at Higher Level, a student must have scored a 6 or higher in MYP extended mathematics.
Further parent and student information sessions will be held later in the year, so please keep your eyes open for dates.